Friday 29 July 2011

A little bit of Drama: An introduction

So, I admit to having a guilty pleasure.

I enjoy watching asian dramas. A little too much -________-;;

If you're familiar with the franchise, you'll know that it's, er, formulaic. If you've never watched one in your life, think of a romantic comedy, but lengthened into 16-20 episodes. 


The boys often have Mr Darcy syndrome - in that they're good looking, popular, rich and idolised, but will start off being nasty and arrogant (But they'll later turn out to be brave and charming with a heart-of-gold and a torch-of-love that will never go out for the leading lady -____-;;)  


The girl will usually be hard-working, bright and optimistic despite being poor, 'average' looking (though these are asian actresses we're talking about, so they're never average looking :P) and in unfortunate circumstances that she has to work through. 


Anyway, through fate, these two people will meet, hate each other for a while, then fall madly in love due to fate pulling them together and ripping them apart and then they will (most likely) live happily ever after. No joke. 

So yes, I know the stories pretty well -_____-;; But I still like to watch these fluffy little shows because they're relaxing. You don't have to stress about figuring out the plot or anything like that - it's just laughing at all the silly scenes and getting lost in all the fluffy stuff that comes with romantic-comedies. A lot of the time it also helps to improve my language skills because I have to listen to them banter on in Chinese.

Anyway, I'd like to talk about this stuff, but unfortunately for me, no one else has as much free time or interest in this stuff as I do...so the only place where I can reel off about how wonderful (or completely terrible) a drama is, is on a forum or blog. Which is why I'll be here in the near future talking about them. Be prepared, there's a lot I can say on this trivial form of Asian pop culture :D


No comments:

Post a Comment