Monday 7 November 2011

Food story: L'atelier de Monsieur Truffe

L'atelier de Monsieur Truffe

Hot chocolates and Coffees :)

Delicious dark chocolate on toast: Tartine au chocolate!

With salt...so goood...

Hot cakes

Pan fried carrot cake with carrot gel and dust, carrots and ...cheese

I was intrigued with the carrot dust and carrot gel

Pretty chocolate related stuff 

A few chocolate posters

Chocolate postcards and such!

At the counter :)

The space

Where the masses eat

lovely plants :)

lovely pastries

lovely chocolate rooster!

The greenery on our table

The little red door


Cafe: What a nice cafe/shop! I'm pretty sure I once heard that L'atelier had taken over an old warehouse space (that probably explains the suburb we were in - it looked like a place for warehouses and clearance departments!) It was relatively easy to find - no sign, but the red door was a good giveaway. The cafe had plenty of open space and good natural lighting from having a clear ceiling. There were minimal decorations, so it had a nice natural feel to it - but what it did have was lots of plants and chocolate, both of which I liked. Look out for the giant chocolate rooster! :D

Customer service: We had a nice waitress. She was attentive enough to come back and take our orders without our flagging her down after we sent her away because we were having trouble deciding. The only odd thing was that they didn't have enough menus. It was a busy day for brunch (Sunday morning when I went with my friends) so I guess that makes sense, but I've always gotten a menu for brunch, no matter how busy the place...

Food: My favourite brunch pick was definately the Tartine au chocolate! We'd all decided our own dishes, but we were tempted to try the chocolate stuff as L'atelier is well known for its chocolate (...it's brother store being the famous collingwood chocolate place, Monsieur Truffe!) We had our Tartine with dark chocolate, which was delicious (It was probably a good choice too, given how much chocolate was on the toast. You wouldn't want to OD on that stuff :D) The toast was hot and crunchy, the chocolate creamy and soft and the salt brought out the sweetness in our little treat. My friends picked nice dishes - the Croque-monsieur (no pictures, sorry) was nice and crunchy, with lots of cheese, ham and served with salad - it was also massive! The hot cakes also looked awesome with fruit (but they forgot the lemon sauce? :S) And me? I picked the strangest dish on the menu. Pan fried carrot cake with carrot dust, carrot gel, dutch carrots and some sort of cheese...I enjoy trying new things and I get tempted when I see weird combinations? The carrot cake was really good. The carrot gel was tangy and sweet :) But the dutch carrots, although honey-gazed, and the savory cheese just felt weird with the cake...like it should have been a separate dish. I think if they wanted to make it work better, the carrots should have been sweeter (more honey) and the cheese should have been Mascarpone cheese rather than what I had (sorry, the name has slipped me at the moment, will update if I remember!) Nonetheless, it plated up well. All in all, lovely place - You must try their chocolate dishes!


Price range: $6-$20


With thanks to: My brunching buddies Harini and Kate for a nice morning out!


Address: 351 Lygon Street, Brunswick East


Websitehttp://monsieurtruffe.wordpress.com/

L'atelier by Monsieur Truffe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. really this is nice disk i will like to take this disk if i have chance. thanks to share this post.
    coin laundromat gold coast

    ReplyDelete